Search This Blog

Do you believe conventional medicine cures cancer?

Monday, September 28, 2009

From My 19 y.o. Daughter

From the Daughter of a Breast Cancer Patient
My mom has breast cancer. And unlike most people she and my dad did not freak and go running to the modern day doctors who “supposedly” have all the answers for health these days. They waited. They prayed. Then they acted on what they believe to be the right course of action to not only cure my mom's breast cancer but to all around give her the health she deserves to have. Most people that I know, including me at first, think that it is a stupid move, a very common belief among todays world. But over the past 2 months I have come from wanting to beg my mother to just get it cut off and radiated from her to firmly believing that radiation and surgery are not the way to go. And if you knew me you would realize that making me truly believe in something is no easy task.
When my mother was first diagnosed it crushed everything I knew. The whole foundation of my life was shattered as I had never felt it before. When I wasn't at work or sleeping the rest of my time was spent sitting in my mothers living room. It was a good 2 weeks before my buddy got me to go hang out with him and a few friends that I had hung out with a couple times. It was late one night after mom had already gone to bed (so I wouldn't miss a minute with her) when I went to hang out with him and one of my new friends, Preston. At this time I was mad at my parents for not doing anything medical to help my mom. I got to know Preston a little better that night. I learned his mother died of breast cancer when he was 12. She had gone through all the surgeries and chemotherapy only to be miserably sick the rest of her short life. Without me asking, Preston offered a small piece of information that I was not expecting. He said, and I quote, “If there was one thing I could have done different, it would have been to beg her NOT to do chemotherapy. She was so very sick the last few years of her life that we didn't get to enjoy any of it. If you want my advice, I would say beg her not to do chemo, enjoy every minute you have with her, and do something that would make her proud.”
Over the next few weeks I thought a lot about what he had said. I listened to what mom and dad were doing to fight this and all the books mom was reading about chemotherapy and natural detox. In the end I came to the conclusion that I had done the same thing as most people do and had panicked.. I had panicked and went straight to the first conclusion that we are taught here in America, that doctors are gods. They can do anything and they are the only way to get well. Since then I have tried my best to do exactly what Preston wasn't able to do when his mother was here. As most of you have heard I haven't had to beg my parents not to do chemo, I try to spend as much time as I can over at my parents house, and I'm still working on the proud part.
I am so grateful that Preston is my friend and that he cared enough to let me in on his life changing experience enough to try to help me with mine. And I want everyone to know how proud I am of my parents. They have stood up to so many people for what they believe in and are doing about this cancer. And now it is my turn to stand up for them. So today for the first time since this has all started I have given my opinion on how my parents are taking care of her breast cancer. And I say way to go, Mom and Dad!
-Sam, the daughter of a breast cancer patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment